Thursday, December 14, 2006

Tony Blair unmasked

David Seaton's News Links
Here is a picture of Tony Blair. It was taken shortly after his being the first serving British prime minister in England's long history to be questioned by the police in connection with a criminal inquiry into corruption. It is a picture of the real Tony Blair, the one who lied his and another's people into a bloody, useless war. As many that have died or been maimed is this man a criminal. This is the face of the Tony Blair that Steve Bell of the Guardian has been drawing for years, but this face, with its mask off hadn't been photographed so nakedly yet. Photographed with all its authoritarian arrogance and cruelty written clearly on it... and so, too, is a touch of fear. Mad, bad and dangerous to know. Bush's poodle? Or Bush's rottweiler? DS

2 comments:

Jonathan Dickson said...

I keep reading that Blair was not 'under caution' when questioned by police. Nor was Peter Sutcliffe, the 'Yorkshire Ripper' under caution first time he was questionedby police......

Anonymous said...

You said about Blair's picture - "with all its authoritarian arrogance and cruelty written clearly on it... and so, too, is a touch of fear. Mad, bad and dangerous to know. Bush's poodle? Or Bush's rottweiler?"

It just shows how human nature looks for what it seeks to find. I don't see Mr Blair like that in this picture. I can see a certain distance or thoughtfulness, as though he's thinking "How did I end up in this mess?" or "Do these bl***y photographers want blood?"

If either of those questions were on his mind, he probably knew the answers to both.

For me, it's sad. But even now I am filled with admiration for this much maligned man who, I don't believe is evil, criminal, cruel, arrogant or mad. Just someone who is wrestling with the consequences of some big decisions, which would likely have been made in the same way if Brown or Cameron had been in the hot seat at the time.

I think there is only one "clunking fist" in politics here in the UK and he's already in place.

Shame so many of us seem to have fallen out of love with him.

But, in the manner of the new convert (I've never voted Labour), I want to Keep Tony Blair for PM and I have a blog to prove it. Any chance? Probably not. But I'll keep on trying. For now anyway.

http://keeptonyblairforpm.wordpress.com