Saturday, January 20, 2007

It's not what you say, it's the way that you say it

David Seaton's News Links
This photograph was taken in the Guadarrama mountains outside Madrid on a beautiful, sunny, winter day. The mountain forest was bathed in Madrid's famous, transparently magic "Velázquez light". It was that light that hooked me on Madrid in the first place and it fascinates me to this day. The play of light and shadows as I walked through the forest, caught my eye and I took the snap. Why blog it? Because I feel that it illustrates one of the fundamental principals of our age. The mountains outside Madrid are famous for the quality of the beef cattle that range freely on public land. The dark patches in the middle of the photograph are samples of common and garden variety Spanish, bovine excrement.
The moral of the story, one that defines our historical period, is that bullshit is beautiful if you light it right.
DS

No comments: