Sunday, December 12, 2010

James Moody (1925 – 2010) Homage to a Jazz Master


The Durgafilms Dance Company interprets King Pleasure's canonical version of "James Moody's Mood for Love". (Image editing by David Seaton)
David Seaton's News Links
The Great Jazz saxophonist, James Moody just died three days ago. He is best known for his 1949 solo improvisation of "I'm in the Mood for Love", which Eddie Jefferson wrote lyrics for and King Pleasure made into a big hit in 1954.  Since then practically every Jazz singer (and quite a few wannabes) have taken a shot at singing it with very irregular success.

I have reproduced the lyrics below in case readers get the urge to sing along with King Pleasure and the Durgafilms Dance Company.  If you manage to pull it off, you may, without knowing it, be a real jazz singer, because Moody's Mood For Love is a tune that separates the sheep from the goats. DS
(he) There I go there I go
There I go there I go
Pretty baby you are the soul
Who snaps my control

Such a funny thing but every time you're near me
I never can behave you give me a smile
And then I'm wrapped up in your magic
There's music all around me crazy music

Music that keeps calling me so very close to you
Turns me your slave come and do with me
Any little thing you want to
Anything baby just let me get next to you

Am I insane or do I really see heaven in your eyes?
Bright as stars that shine up above
You in the clear blue skies
How I worry about you

Just can't live my life without you
Baby come here don't have no fear
Oh is there a wonder why
I'm really feeling in the mood for love?

So tell me why stop to think
About this weather my dear?
This little dream might fade away

There I go talking out of my head again oh baby
Won't you come and put our two hearts together?
That would make me strong and brave

Oh when we are one I'm not afraid I'm not afraid
If there's a cloud up above us
Go on and let it rain

I'm sure our love together will endure a hurricane
Oh my baby won't you please let me love you
And give a relief from this awful misery?

(she)What is all this talk about loving me my sweet?
I am not afraid not anymore not like before
Don't you understand me?

Now baby please pull yourself together do it soon
My soul's on fire come on and take me
I'll be what you make me my darling my sweet

(he) Oh baby you make me feel so good
Let me take you by the hand
Come let us visit out there
In that new promised land

Maybe there we can find
A good place to use a loving state of mind
I'm so tired of being without
And never knowing what love's about

James Moody you can come on in man
And you can blow now if you want to
We're through

1 comment:

forensic economist said...

Thank you. I had to go put my vinyl King Pleasure on the turntable. It is as beautiful as it ever was.